University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Courses and Registration

Submitted by darmstro on Fri, 11/18/2016 - 1:36pm

When is a placement test recommended/required?

We recommend a placement test (a written test whose purpose is to assess your language knowledge) when you are not sure as to what course you should register in, or when you believe that you have sufficient command of the language to skip prerequisite courses. In some areas of learning, such as Chinese, a placement test is required prior to registration in any of the language courses. Following are examples of typical circumstances in which a placement test is advised :

  1. you are a native speaker, or possess near-to-native fluency, but have no formal qualifications;
  2. you wish to enrol in a course for which you lack the prerequisites;
  3. you have learnt a language without formal tuition whilst living and/or working in francophone Canada or abroad;
  4. you obtained formal qualification several years ago and have used the language infrequently or not at all;
  5. you feel that the course you have started taking is too easy or too difficult. In this case the placement test should be completed straight away, well before the deadline for registrations.

Assessment of the test may take up to five working days. If you have not heard back within five working days, please e-mail to inquire about your results. The test is free of charge if taken within the deadlines.

In order to complete a placement test for Arabic or Chinese, please first complete the on-line Placement Application.

I am a native speaker of Arabic, can I still register in beginner’s Arabic courses?

No, native speakers are not eligible to take language courses, but are eligible to take Muslim literature and culture courses (ALMC 317, 319, 353, 357 and 359), at any time without the submission of a placement application or departmental assessment.

I would like to register in CHIN 205, but the system will not let me

Prior to registration in any of the Chinese language courses, you must first complete the on-line application form. After you complete and submit the form, you will receive an e-mail notifying you of whether or not you will be required to complete a placement test.

Can I register in CHIN 317 without completing a placement test?

Yes, you can enroll in any of the Chinese literature and culture courses (CHIN 317, 353, 355, 357, 431 and 461) without assessment.

I took FREN 30 a long time ago and now my French is quite rusty. What course should I register in?

We advise that you take a placement test. One of our advisors will examine it and give you approval for the course/s corresponding to your level of competence.

I have SPAN 30 but the system won't let me register for SPAN 203. What can I do to get in SPAN 203?

You should provide an official document showing that you have SPAN 30. We will then give you on-line approval to register in SPAN 203.

How are students with High School French placed?

As a general rule, students with High School French are placed as follows:
FREN 10: FREN 209
FREN 10N, FREN 20: FREN 211
FLA 10: FREN 211 or, if a placement test is passed, FREN 213
FREN 20N,20S, 30, N30: FREN 213
FREN 30N, 30S, 31, 31A, 31B, 31C: FREN 225 or FREN 291
FLA 30: FREN 225 or FREN 291
IB students, min. grade of 5: FREN A1: FREN 315; FREN A2: FREN 227: FREN B: FREN 213

How do I go about taking a Minor/Major? Where do I declare it?

Information about our Majors and Minors can be viewed on the program page for that area. We also suggest that you speak with one of our undergraduate advisors.

Once you have decided that you wish to pursue a Major or a Minor, you need to declare it either at the  Arts Students’ Centre office on the main floor of the Social Sciences building or through PeopleSoft for Students.

How do I go on a course waiting list?

Students may sign up for wait lists in PeopleSoft.

Where do I find course information sheets?

Course information sheets are found on our Courses page [include new link] Some instructors also post them in Desire 2 Learn (D2L).

I am an exchange student. How do I register for your courses?

Exchange students may register for courses through PeopleSoft.

What is the difference between withdrawing from, and dropping, a course?

You may change your registration by dropping courses without penalty any time before the deadline for registrations in a given session. After this time, you may withdraw from courses but a 'W' will show on your transcript and no refund will be given for the course. Please also refer to the information on withdrawals contained in the University Calendar.

How many courses am I allowed to take per semester?

You may take a maximum of six half courses per session. Should you wish to take a seventh course, you will need special permission. Students in the Faculties of Arts or Science who have completed a full course load (5 full courses) with a GPA of 3.20 or higher in the previous Fall/Winter session may add a 6th course with the approval of a program advisor at the Arts Students’ Centre (SS 102).

What minimum grade do I need as a prerequisite for another course?

In the Faculty of Arts all prerequisites must be met with a minimum grade of C-.

Can I take a course again to upgrade my mark?

You may repeat a course previously failed or one in which a higher grade is sought although you will normally be permitted to repeat a particular course only once. Taking or repeating a course that is a prerequisite for a higher level course after having completed the higher level course with a grade of C- or better will only be allowed with the permission of both the faculty in which you are registered and the department offering the course.  Please see also the University Calendar,

Where can I get course information / course outlines?

I want to register in a course, but it's full. Does the School allow overloads?

All School of Languages, Linguistics, Literatures and Cultures courses have enrollment limits – so typically overloads will not be approved. However, our records indicate a number of changes in course registration within the drop/add period. Students wishing to register in courses that are full should attend the classes and check daily the status of course registration. You can also try e-mailing as you may be permitted to overload in certain instances.

I got a grade of D in one of my courses. Will I be able to use it as a prerequisite?

A grade of D is termed a "minimal pass". It is not a failing grade, but is generally considered insufficient preparation for subsequent courses in the same subject.

How many withdrawals am I allowed to take?

The maximum number of courses a student is allowed to withdraw from is 10 (10 half-course equivalents, or 5 full-course equivalents). For more information, consult the Arts Students' Centre in SS 102.

How do I get consent to repeat a course for the third time?

A student may repeat a course previously attempted (including withdrawals) only once. Permission to enroll in a course for the 3rd time is granted only under exceptional circumstances and the student must see an advisor in the Arts Students' Centre (SS 102).

I want to appeal a grade. What do I do?

Course work:
Students seeking reappraisal of a piece of graded term work should discuss their work with the Instructor within two weeks of either being notified of the grade, or of the work being returned to the class. If not satisfied, the student shall immediately take the matter to the Director of the school offering the course who will arrange for a reassessment of the work within the next fifteen days.
Final grade:
A student wishing a reappraisal of an individual final grade should first attempt to examine the final examination at the School office. Then the student shall obtain a Reappraisal of Final Grade form from Enrolment Services. On that form the student is required to indicate exactly what error was made in marking the examination and/or in computing the final grade. The form will not be processed and the reappraisal will not take place unless the student provides a detailed rationale that outlines where and for what reason an error is suspected.

Students wishing a reappraisal of a final grade (excluding Law courses) must submit their request by the following dates:

Fall Term: March 1
Winter Term: June 30
Spring Intersession: August 15
Summer Term: October 15

The reappraisal form shall be submitted to Enrolment Services who shall forward it to the school director or dean of the faculty offering the course. Reappraisals of final grades are dealt with by the head of the academic unit in consultation with members of staff. Normally, the academic unit will respond to a Request for Reappraisal of Final Grade within thirty days of its initiation. After the reappraisal is completed, the academic unit will return the form to the Registrar who shall inform the student in writing of the result of any request for reappraisal.

Students should be aware that the grade being reappraised may be raised, lowered or remain the same. A student may request a reappraisal of final grade only twice in one academic year (Sept. 1 – Aug. 31).

Where can I go to get my old assignments and exams?

Previous assignments and mid-term exams are kept for one full year and can be obtained in the School of Languages, Linguistics, Literatures and Cultures main offices, located in CHC 205 and CHD 310. Please bring a piece of ID with you.