We recommend a placement test (a written test whose purpose is to assess your language knowledge) when you are not sure as to what course you should register in, or when you believe that you have sufficient command of the language to skip prerequisite courses. In some areas of learning, such as Chinese, a placement test is required prior to registration in any of the language courses. Following are examples of typical circumstances in which a placement test is advised :
- you are a native speaker, or possess near-to-native fluency, but have no formal qualifications;
- you wish to enrol in a course for which you lack the prerequisites;
- you have learnt a language without formal tuition whilst living and/or working in francophone Canada or abroad;
- you obtained formal qualification several years ago and have used the language infrequently or not at all;
- you feel that the course you have started taking is too easy or too difficult. In this case the placement test should be completed straight away, well before the deadline for registrations.
Assessment of the test may take up to five working days. If you have not heard back within five working days, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about your results. The test is free of charge if taken within the deadlines.
In order to complete a placement test for Arabic or Chinese, please first complete the on-line Placement Application.